Students who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress and/or exceed the maximum allowed time frame from Financial Aid may appeal if there were unusual or extenuating circumstances that affected the student's ability to make academic progress.
Examples of extenuating circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Death in the family
- Serious illness
- Various reasons which were beyond the student's control
To appeal for Financial Aid, students are required to do the following:
- Complete The Key Components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Financial Aid Appeal Process and Understanding the Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) and its Effect sessions with a passing grade. If this is your first time, please register before logging into the portal.
- Once the sessions are completed with a passing grade, complete and submit an Appeal
Packet. The Appeal Packet must consist of the following:
- An Appeal Form (available after successful completion of The Key Components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Financial Aid Appeal Process and Understanding the Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) and its Effect).
- A typewritten statement explaining the circumstances that led to the student's inability to meet SAP standards, including an explanation outlining circumstances and what steps have been taken to allow the student to meet SAP standards in the future.
- Additional supporting documentation (i.e., death certificate, letter(s) from doctor(s), medical records, divorce decree, etc.)
- A signed Student Education Plan completed by an Academic Counselor/Educational Advisor.
Example of the Appeal Form below:
Appeals must be submitted to Cerro Coso Community College, Office of Financial Aid
Cerro Coso Community College
ATTN: Office of Financial Aid
3000 College Heights Blvd.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Notice of Appeal Status
- Submission of an appeal DOES NOT GUARANTEE a reinstatement of financial aid. If an appeal is approved, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Appeal Probation and will be reinstated for Financial Aid eligibility. Approved appeals will clearly state the condition(s) for eligibility and/or reinstatement.
- Only one financial aid appeal submission per semester, per student. Students who submit more than one appeal must provide differing extenuating circumstances in subsequent appeal(s). Each appeal must show successful completion of The Key Components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Financial Aid Appeal Process and Understanding the Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) and its Effect sessions every time. Failure to do any of the preceding may result in automatic disapproval.
Deadlines for Submission
- FALL: November 15th
- SPRING: April 15th
- SUMMER: July 15th
*Student must be enrolled in the semester which they are requesting their appeal
Phone: (760) 384-6221
Fax: (760) 384-6321
Hours of Operation
M-Th 7:30am-6:00pm, F-8:00am-12:00pm