Grants are awards based upon financial need. They do not require repayment.

Golden State Education And Training Grant Program

Golden State Education and Training Grant program concluded after the 2022-23 Academic Year.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants are the largest source of free money from the federal government for students with financial need:

  • Pell grants are awarded to every undergraduate who qualifies and has not already earned a bachelor's degree.
  • The grant provides over $6000, depending on your expected family contribution, cost of attendance and whether you are attending full or part time.
  • It can be used to pay for tuition, fees and living expenses at any qualifying college, including Cerro Coso Community College.
  • You can receive only one Federal Pell Grant per term or period of enrollment, which can be used to attend one college at a time.

Summer Pell Grants

Summer Pell Grants are disbursed if the student has remaining Pell Grant entitlement AND the student maintains Satisfactory Academic Progress AND the student is enrolled. No funds will be disbursed until ALL students' academic progress has been evaluated. This will occur after all Spring grades have been posted.

Maximum Duration of Pell Eligibility (Lifetime Eligibility)

Federal financial aid regulations limit the amount of Pell Grant funds a student may receive to the equivalent of six years of full-time Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a full-time student may receive each year is equal to 100%, the six year equivalent is 600%.

The Department of Education keeps track of your Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) by adding together the percentages of your Pell Grant scheduled awards that you received for each award year in your lifetime. If a student's LEU equals or exceeds 600%, the student is no longer eligible to receive Pell Grant funding at any institution. In addition, a student whose LEU is greater than 500% but less than 600% will receive a reduced Pell Grant award based on their percentage available. There is no appeal to this Federal regulation. This new Federal regulation will not affect eligibility for BOG Fee Waivers, Federal Work Study, Cal Grants, or Chafee Grants.

For information on how the Department of Education calculates the equivalent of six years visit Calculating Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used.

Students can log on to the using their Federal Student Aid ID (the same ID used when signing the FAFSA) to view their calculated LEU. The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.

Year Round Pell

Pell Grants for Summer 2024

If you were pell eligible in Fall 2023 and/or spring 2024 you may qualify for Pell grant in the Summer of 2024.

Minimum Credits for Summer Pell Grant

If you enrolled full-time (12+ credits) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for fall 2023 and spring 2024, you must enroll at least half-time (6+ credits) in summer classes to receive a summer Pell Grant.

If you enrolled part-time fall 2023 or spring 2024, there is no minimum credit requirement to receive a summer Pell Grant (unless required by your EFC). You can use the remainder of your annual Pell Grant amount during summer with no minimum credit requirement.

Pell Grant Amount Depends on Enrollment

Your summer Pell Grant amount will depend on the number of credits you are registered in, as well as your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU). The Pell Grant amount will be adjusted just prior to the release (disbursement) of your aid based on your enrollment level. Enrollment levels are defined in the following manner:

  • 12+ credits = 100% of the semester Pell Grant amount
  • 9-11 credits = 75% of the semester Pell Grant amount
  • 6-8 credits = 50% of the semester Pell Grant amount

An example of how Year-Round Pell (YRP) works

A student with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 is eligible for $6,195 in Pell grant for the year, or $3,098 for the fall semester and $3,097 for the spring semester.

Under the YRP program, this student could receive an additional $1,549 for the summer semester if they enrolled full-time (12 credits).

If the student enrolls half-time (six credits) summer semester, the student would receive a $775 Federal Pell Grant for summer, or one-half of a full award.

Federal Supplemental Grant (SEOG)

If you are an undergraduate with exceptional financial need, you may be eligible for a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (Federal SEOG).

  • The Federal SEOG provides up to a Max of $800 per aid year as an instate resident and Max $2000 for out of state resident students contribution, cost of attendance and whether you are attending full or part time.
  • Priority consideration is given if you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.
  • Unlike the federal Pell Grant, funds are limited, so there is no guarantee you will receive one.

Cal Grant Program

You still have time! The Cal Grant deadline is March 2, 2024.  A GPA verification submission deadline is September 3, 2024. Complete your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application today!

Cal Grants are free money for college that you don't have to pay back. Depending on the Cal Grant you receive, the money can be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing, food and even transportation costs to and from classes. You must submit your FAFSA or California Dream Application AND your verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2. Students who miss the March 2nd deadline AND who plan to attend Cerro Coso in the fall, have until September 2nd to apply.

Cal Grant A or B Entitlement Grant for High School Seniors

Every high school senior who meets the academic and financial requirements may be eligible to receive a Cal Grant A or B Entitlement award:

  • 3.0 GPA for Cal Grant A
  • 2.0 GPA for Cal Grant B
  • Meet the qualifying income and asset ceilings
  • Apply by March 2nd of your senior year in high school or the year following graduation

In addition, eligible students have an opportunity to compete for 25,750 Cal Grant A or B Competitive awards. Of the awards set aside for competitive Cal Grant A and B, half are for community college students who apply by a second deadline of September 2.

Cal Grant A and B California Community College Transfer Entitlement Grant

High school seniors who go to a California Community College and then transfer to a qualifying baccalaureate-degree granting college may be eligible for a California Community College Transfer Entitlement (Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement). This award is either a Cal Grant A or B. To qualify, you must have at least a 2.4 community college GPA, meet the Cal Grant financial and eligibility requirements, be under 28 years of age as of December 31 of the award year and apply by March 2nd. You MUST transfer from a California Community College to a bachelor's degree-granting school in the award year for which the award is offered.

Cal Grant C

Students that are vocationally oriented, enrolled at least half-time in a course of study to acquire marketable job skills in a recognized occupational program, and fall within the established income and asset ceilings, and apply by the deadline may be eligible to receive a Cal Grant C award.

General Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a Cal Grant, a student must:

  • Submit the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline;
  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen or meet AB540 criteria;
  • Be a California resident when you graduated from high school or meet AB540 criteria;
  • Have a valid Social Security number or meet the AB540 criteria;
  • Attend a qualifying California college;
  • Be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate, and not currently have a bachelor's or higher degree;
  • Have financial need at your college;
  • Have family income and assets below the established ceilings;
  • Meet any minimum GPA requirement;
  • Be attending school at least half time;
  • Have registered with the US Selective Service, if required;
  • Not owe a refund on any state or federal educational grant;
  • Not have a delinquent or defaulted federal student loan;
  • Not be incarcerated;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Community College Completion Grant (CCCG)

The intent of the Community College Completion Grant program (CCCG) funding expressed a desire to support student persistence, retention and success by providing students additional assistance who are attending at a 15 unit per term pace or 30 unit per year pace and/or complete their programs in scheduled FT timeframes.

California Chafee Grant Program

The California Chafee Grant is available for current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to the availability of federal funds each year. The California Chafee Grant Program may provide up to $5,000 per academic year of free money to foster youth and former foster youth to use for college courses or vocational school training. The student will receive an award based on their unmet financial need, up to the maximum award amount of $5,000. To apply:

  • You must be enrolled in an eligible college or vocational school
  • You must be enrolled at least half time (6 units)
  • You must be enrolled in a eligible course of study that is at least one year long
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • You were in California foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday
  • You must not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1, of the award year

Two forms are needed to apply for the Chafee Grant:

We recommend completing an Access Programs application for additional financial assistance through the NextUp Program.

After you apply,

  • The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) will verify your Independent Living Program (ILP) status.
  • The financial aid office will determine your unmet financial need and financial aid eligibility.
  • The California Student Aid Commission will review your FAFSA and your Chafee Grant Application.
  • Then, the California Student Aid Commission will send you a letter notifying you of your award status.

Note that the amount of the Chafee Grant, when combined with a Pell Grant, may not exceed the student's cost of attendance.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)

The BIA Grant provides financial assistance to Native American students who enroll in full-time college programs. In order to qualify, a student must be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut. Those who believe that they qualify should contact the appropriate BIA area or agency office maintaining tribal records.