Admissions for Military Veterans

We support the following programs:

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment)
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependent's Education Assistance)
  • Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill - Selective Reserves)

Becoming a Student at Cerro Coso

  1. Fill out the application form online.
  2. Apply online for your G.I. Bill® benefits at the G.I. Bill® website.
  3. Send us your transcripts. Federal law requires that Veterans provide OFFICIAL SEALED transcripts from all previously attended schools, colleges, and training institutes attended. Send transcripts directly to Admissions and Records:
    Admissions & Records
    Cerro Coso Community College
    3000 College Heights Blvd
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    Phone: (760) 384-6374
    Fax: (760) 384-6377
    You can obtain military transcripts for Army, Navy/Marines and Coast Guard at and for Air Force at

    There may be classes taken during your military career that could be used to satisfy some course requirements. Evaluation of all previous college work and other relevant education (including military school experiences) is done by a counselor/education advisor to determine the amount of credit that will be accepted and applied to a degree program at the college. See Can I receive credit for my military training? and American Council on Education Transcript Services.
  4. Attend orientation.
  5. Log into Navigate.
  6. Meet with a counselor to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP) for your first semester at Cerro Coso. The SEP must be updated and VA program approval must be completed PRIOR TO EACH SEMESTER to verify that the courses you are taking are meeting your educational/career goal.
  7. Get Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA online at

    Cerro Coso's Federal School Code (010111) must be entered on your FAFSA so that your information will be transmitted to us electronically. You will also need a pin to sign the FAFSA electronically. Apply for a pin at
  8. If you qualify, also apply for a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) on the Financial Aid webpage.
  9. Register for classes.
    Based on your Veteran status, you are eligible for PRIORITY REGISTRATION and must contact counseling to have your registration appointment changed.
  10. A student must have all fees paid by the Monday prior to the start of the semester or they may be in danger of being dropped from their courses, unless the student has an approved fee waiver. If you are a student utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, please email the Military & Veterans Services office at
  11. Attend classes. Students who do not attend the first day of class will be dropped.
  12. Notify your academic advisor AND the VA School Certifying Official of any changes to your schedule. If you are required to report your enrollment to the VA on a monthly basis, be sure to notate the changes during the monthly verification.
  13. If you are receiving benefits under the Ch. 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®), Ch. 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®), or Ch. 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Selective Reserves), you must verify your enrollment with the VA every month. See Enrollment Verification Information.
  14. Meet with a counselor each semester to further develop your SEP to discuss meeting your education and career goals. The VA requires that you see a counselor each semester that you are attending college in order for you to receive benefits.