Child Development Associate Teacher Certificate

Cerro Coso IWV campus

What can I do with this?

The Child Development Associate Teacher Certificate

  • Provides students with the minimal level of education to work with children in a group setting.
  • Includes required classes in the core areas (development; child, family, and community; curriculum).
  • Allows students to qualify for Assistant Teacher and Associate Teacher* permits.

*Associate Teacher Permit: Associate Teacher Certificate of Proficiency requirements plus experience requirement of 50 days of 3+ hours per day within 2 years.

Taught in Spanish / Ensenado en Español

This certificate of achievement is taught in Spanish through online, synchronous Zoom!

For more details, download the flyer: in English | en Español

You can use this to:

  • Enhance career opportunities as:
    • Child Care Center Assistant Teacher
    • Child Care Center Associate Teacher
    • Elementary School Classroom Assistant
    • Preschool Teacher
    • Child Care Worker

All professionals working with children are required to have a clean criminal record, to demonstrate freedom from tuberculosis (TB), and to demonstrate the physical ability to perform all of the duties of a professional position working directly with children.

Early-childhood education "improves children's cognitive abilities, helps to create a foundation for lifelong learning, makes learning outcomes more equitable, reduces poverty and improves social mobility from generation to generation.

(OECD, 2012)

What will I learn?

  • To examine teaching and care practices that provide a developmentally appropriate program to support children's growth, development, and learning.
  • To identify one's own values, experiences, and philosophies and how they guide and inform practices.

Program Learning Outcome Assessments

Thank you so much for all your productive feedback, prompt grading, and for caring about all of your students and the children who will benefit from them. It has been a pleasure for me to be part of this class...

—Online Student

What courses do I take?

Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.


Complete all of the following courses:

Program Pathways

All classes needed for this certificate are available at the following campuses: CC Online

See Counseling for specific help with enrolling and completing this major.

How can I afford it?

This degree requires 12.0 units and will likely take 1 semester.

Approximate Total Costs

CA Residents

12.0 units

at $46 per unit

Equals $552 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $720* for books and supplies

Total cost $1,272 for 1 semester


12.0 units

at $375 per unit

Equals $4,500 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $720* for books and supplies

Total cost $5,220 for 1 semester

*This is an estimate. Actual costs will vary.

Need help? Financial Aid can help with fee waivers and scholarships and other aid. Make sure to fill out your FAFSA every January.