Child Development Site Supervisor Certificate

Cerro Coso IWV campus

What can I do with this?

The Child Development Site Supervisor Certificate

  • Provides students with the minimal level of education to work with children in a group setting.
  • Includes required classes in the core areas (development; child, family, and community; curriculum).
  • Allows students to qualify for Assistant Teacher, Associate Teacher, Teacher, and Site Supervisor* permits.

Teacher with children sitting in mud.

*Site Supervisor Permit: Teacher Certificate requirements plus experience of 350 days of 3+ hours per day within 4 years including at least 100 days supervising adults plus 16 general education units in English/Language Arts, Math/Science, Social Sciences, and Humanities/Fine Arts.

You can use this to:

  • Enhance career opportunities as:
    • Child Care Center Associate Teacher
    • Child Care Center Teacher
    • Child Care Center Administrator
    • Preschool Teacher

All professionals working with children are required to have a clean criminal record, to demonstrate freedom from tuberculosis (TB), and to demonstrate the physical ability to perform all of the duties of a professional position working directly with children.

Early-childhood education "improves children's cognitive abilities, helps to create a foundation for lifelong learning, makes learning outcomes more equitable, reduces poverty and improves social mobility from generation to generation.

(OECD, 2012)

What will I learn?

  • To examine teaching and care practices that provide a developmentally appropriate program to support children's growth, development, and learning.
  • To identify one's own values, experiences, and philosophies and how they guide and inform practices.
  • To integrate understandings of children's development and needs to maintain healthy, safe, supportive, and challenging learning environments that demonstrate culturally relevant, inclusive, age-appropriate, and anti-bias approaches respectful of children, families, and early learning professionals.
  • To design appropriate strategies and program policies in compliance with California state laws and regulations that guide the administration of respectful and responsive quality care and education programs.

Program Learning Outcome Assessments

Thank you so much for all your productive feedback, prompt grading, and for caring about all of your students and the children who will benefit from them. It has been a pleasure for me to be part of this class...

—Online Student

What courses do I take?

Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.


Complete all of the following courses


STATE OF CALIFORNIA CHILD DEVELOPMENT PERMIT: The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing grants permits in accordance with the Child Development Permit Matrix. Applications are separate from Cerro Coso Community College and must be submitted to California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Contact any Child Development faculty member or visit the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website at for more information regarding the Permit Matrix and Professional Growth Advisors. For all permits, all course work must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.

Supervisor Permit: AA (or 60 units) including 24 ECE/ CD units with core courses, plus 6 units administration, plus 2 units Adult Supervision.

Program Pathways

All classes needed for this certificate are available at the following campuses: CC Online

See Counseling for specific help with enrolling and completing this major.

How can I afford it?

This degree requires 33.0 units and will likely take 3 semesters.

Approximate Total Costs

CA Residents

33.0 units

at $46 per unit

Equals $1,518 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $1,980* for books and supplies

Total cost $3,498 for 3 semesters


33.0 units

at $375 per unit

Equals $12,375 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $1,980* for books and supplies

Total cost $14,355 for 3 semesters

*This is an estimate. Actual costs will vary.

Need help? Financial Aid can help with fee waivers and scholarships and other aid. Make sure to fill out your FAFSA every January.