Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to see the answer.

Where is the Kern River Valley (KRV) campus located?

We are approximately 1 hour west of Ridgecrest and 1 hour east of Bakersfield in the small mountain community of Lake Isabella. Our site is located on the upper floor of the Vons shopping center at 6504 Lake Isabella Blvd off of Erskine Creek Rd and Lake Isabella Blvd.

What are your office hours?

We are open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday; and 8:00 am to 12:00 pm on Friday. We are closed for lunch between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, Monday through Thursday.

Do you have a counselor on site?

Yes, we have a counselor here on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We also have an educational advisor here Monday through Friday. Both the counselor and educational advisor take appointments and drop-ins during specified hours.

When do classes start?

Classes begin in the spring (January-May), and the fall (August-December) on campus. We also offer classes online during the summer (June-August). Please see the Academic Calendar for more information.

Do you offer every Cerro Coso degree program? How many classes do you offer?

As a small satellite campus, we do not offer every Cerro Coso degree program. However, we do offer a robust course schedule on campus every spring and fall.

I want to get a job quickly. Do you offer any fast-track career programs?

Yes, we offer several career-focused certificates to get you trained quickly for a job in many fields.

How do I keep up with what's going on at KRV during the semester?

We recommend downloading the GradGuru app for your iPhone or Android phone. GradGuru is updated with important information throughout the semester.

How do I become one of those students who gets to register first?

To register early, you have to complete the four priority registration steps which include: orientation and meeting with a counselor to determine your placement in math and English and to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP).

How much do classes cost and can I get financial aid?

Your tuition depends on how many credit hours you take. Cerro Coso charges $46 a unit. Financial aid is available for those who qualify. The first step is to fill out the FAFSA and to speak with a financial aid technician if you have questions or need assistance with the process.

Is there any extra assistance available for students in need?

Yes, through Cerro Coso's Access Programs, we offer assistance for students who qualify.

I'm a single parent. Is there any extra help for single parents?

If you qualify for Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), you may qualify for CARE.

Do I need a High School Diploma or GED to start classes at Cerro Coso?

No. Students do not need to have a high school diploma or GED to begin taking classes at Cerro Coso. However, to be eligible for federal financial aid, students must have a high school diploma or GED. Students may take classes at Cerro Coso while working on their GED. We offer a GED preparation course on campus.

Do you have tutors available on campus?

Yes, we offer tutoring free of charge. If you feel you need a tutor, speak with your instructor, counselor, or advisor to request a referral today.

What is InsideCC?

InsideCC is a source that all students can use to register for classes, view schedules, pay student bills, view financial aid information, view grades and transcript, and have free e-mail. This system is available any place where you have internet access.

I don't own a vehicle. Is there public transportation near the college?

Yes, please refer to the Kern Transit website for bus route information.