Become a Senator
The Student Senate of Cerro Coso represents the collective student body. The Student Senate aims to collect and share the student voice in an effort to improve the student experience. Students from any Cerro Coso campus may become a senator.
The senators' roles include:
- Planning and facilitating campus events
- Recruiting new members and participating in outreach efforts for the college
- Serving on college committees as a student representative
- Collaborate with and support clubs
For More Information:
- Attend SGCC General Session on the first Tuesday of each month, 12:30-1:30, in LRC 709, at the Ridgecrest Campus and via Zoom. All Students are invited to attend! Register to attend via Zoom.
- Join the Associated Student Body (2022-23) Pronto group (Group Code: BFKG3L) to discuss information related to students!
- Join the Student Senate
- The Senate is the representative body of the students of Cerro Coso. Senators collect student interest and concern and represent students to influence change at the college/li>
- Assists student life with facilitating activities
- Meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 12:35pm in LRC 722 - Those interested should join the Student Senate of Cerro Coso
Students with further questions on how to participate in the SGCC, or for more information you may email Tyson Huffman, email@example.com. Students at campus sites or centers may contact their local administrator.
The SGCC welcomes anyone who wishes to get involved. We will advise you in how to participate in clubs, events, or anything part of student life. We need you to help enrich the student atmosphere, so join an activity and share your insight and creativity. Do not worry, no experience is necessary.
Student Government Offices
- Shall serve as the official spokesperson for the Students of Cerro Coso at Regional and State endeavors unless otherwise delegated by the President.
- Shall chair all meetings of the Executive Board and General Session in accordance with the most current edition of Robert's Rules of Order.
- Shall, in conjunction with the advisor, set the agenda, call the meetings, and notify the Executive Board, as needed.
- Shall, as deemed appropriate and in accordance with the Brown Act, have the authority to call special and emergency meetings.
- Shall serve on College Council unless otherwise delegated by the President.
- Shall serve on Consultation Council unless otherwise delegated by the President.
- Shall work with the Finance Manager to ensure that the SGCC adheres to the District Policy on Finances.
- Shall work with the Secretary to draft SGCC Executive Board and General Session meeting agendas.
- Shall be responsible for working with the Communications Officer to communicate the official positions of the SGCC.
- Appoint Time Keeper and Parliamentarian as needed.
- Shall serve as President in his/her absence.
- Shall serve on Academic Senate unless otherwise delegated by the President.
- Shall chair Senate Meetings in accordance with the most current edition of Robert's Rules of Order.
- Shall, as deemed appropriate and in accordance with the Brown Act, have the authority to call special and emergency Senate meetings.
- Shall be responsible for tracking and maintaining a list of Senators on college level committees.
- All Senator assignments to college level committees must be approved by the Vice President. The Vice President cannot assign positions already filled by these bylaws or the SGCC Constitution.
- All Senators serving on committees must report to the executive board via the Vice President
- Chall chair and head the ICC (Inter Club Council)
- Shall make certain that every student event is following college policy, Student Government expectations, and is not breaking any laws.
- Shall make certain that the proper paperwork for the Executive Board and Senate events are filled out and submitted to the proper authorities.
- Will bring all club events to the Executive Board for review.
- Shall attend all Executive Board, Inter Club Council, and General Session meetings unless otherwise delegated by the Event Coordinator.
- Shall assist clubs in complying with the SGCC Constitution.
- Shall receive monthly reports from the business office.
- Shall report at Executive Board and General Session meetings.
- Shall be responsible for getting fund approvals moved, signed, and documented.
- Shall turn in necessary documents to the business office.
- Shall work with the President to ensure that the SGCC adheres to the District Policy on Finances.
- Shall be responsible for establishing rules and procedures for spending and receiving funds and remaining within budget.
- Shall be responsible for the taking of accurate minutes of Executive Board and General Session meetings.
- Shall conduct a roll call and keep an accurate attendance record for Executive Board and General Session meetings.
- Shall maintain a complete and accurate file of all SGCC records and documents.
- Shall work with the President to draft SGCC Executive Board and General Session meeting agendas.
- The Secretary will provide the minutes to the Student Advisor and the President no later than forty-eight hours after each meeting.
- Shall be responsible for working with the President to communicate the official positions of the SGCC.
- Shall perform other verbal and technical communication functions, as deemed necessary by the President.
- Shall keep a record of all promotional material, electronic or otherwise, for at least one year.
- Shall be responsible for disseminating agendas and other SGCC materials.
- Shall be responsible for working with the President and Secretary to ensure that the posting of SGCC agendas is in accordance with the Brown Act.
- Shall be responsible for coordinating the updating and maintenance of the SGCC websites and social media.
- Shall be responsible for creating and maintaining the SGCC group e-mail account.
- Act as liaisons between the Executive Board, clubs, and the general student population.
- Shall sit on college level committees as assigned by the Vice President.
- Attend SGCC General Session Meetings and Senate Meetings.
Run for an Executive Board Position
Every Spring SGCC holds a general election to elect a new executive board and a new senate. Those interested in becoming executive board members should begin attending senate meetings, general session, and keep an eye out for invitations to nominate their self for a position.