Political Science AA-T

Cerro Coso IWV campus

What can I do with this?

Associate Degree for Transfer: A Degree with a GuaranteeWe are now offering associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. This provides a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. This AA-T degree guarantees admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and gives priority admission consideration to your local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to your community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses. More information on the Degree with a Guarantee Program.

The Political Science Degree for Transfer

  • Guarantees acceptance to the CSU system
  • Prepares students for transfer at the junior level to California State University programs and colleges offering bachelor's degrees in Political Science and careers in
    • Government
    • International Affairs
    • NGOs
    • Nonprofit Associations and Organizations
    • Legal Organizations
    • Campaign and Electoral work
    • Education
    • Journalism

Political Science teaches students to think critically about voting and elections, political parties, campaign financing, interest groups, media, law and courts, civil rights and liberties, political theory and ideology, and international relations.

Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

What will I learn?

  • To identify the structure and operation of the U.S. and other political systems.
  • To distinguish among the diverse and competing ideas and theories that inform politics in the U.S. and other political systems.
  • To analyze the theoretical and practical benefits and responsibilities of citizenship in nation-states and democracies, and the U.S. specifically.
  • To apply the major analytic and theoretical frameworks in the different fields of political science and be able to formulate questions and evaluate argument and hypotheses based on these frameworks.
  • To analyze the social institutions and social and cultural norms in the U.S. and other political systems in terms of how they influence, and are influenced by, political and government institutions and processes.

What courses do I take?

Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.


Required Core: 3 units minimum


List A: 9 units minimum


List B: 6 units minimum

General Ed Requirements

Complete one of the following general education patterns:

Program Pathways

All classes needed for this degree are available at the following campuses: Ridgecrest / IWV CC Online

Additionally, some of the general education courses needed to complete this major are available at all our locations.

See Counseling for specific help with enrolling and completing this major.

How can I afford it?

This degree requires 60.0 units and will likely take 4 semesters.

Approximate Total Costs

CA Residents

60.0 units

at $46 per unit

Equals $2,760 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $3,600* for books and supplies

Total cost $6,360 for 4 semesters


60.0 units

at $375 per unit

Equals $22,500 in tuition and fees

Plus approximately $3,600* for books and supplies

Total cost $26,100 for 4 semesters

*This is an estimate. Actual costs will vary.

Need help? Financial Aid can help with fee waivers and scholarships and other aid. Make sure to fill out your FAFSA every January.