We support the following programs:
- Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
- Chapter 31 (VA Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
- Chapter 35 (Dependent's Education Assistance)
- Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill - Selective Reserves)
Becoming a Student at Cerro Coso
- Fill out the application form online.
- Fill out the VA benefits application form online. The VA may require first time users to send a copy of their DD214 form to Muskogee, OK. (VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888) before the VA will process your application. The DD214 can also be sent as an attachment to the VA application. After you apply, the VA will send you a letter of approval. Please submit this letter to Veterans Affairs or to Counseling so that Cerro Coso can certify your enrollment with the VA.
See also I am enrolled in school. When will I receive my benefits from VA?.
- Send us your transcripts. Federal law requires that Veterans provide OFFICIAL SEALED transcripts from all previously attended schools, colleges, and training institutes attended. Send transcripts directly to Admissions and Records:
Admissions & Records
Cerro Coso Community College
3000 College Heights Blvd
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Phone: (760) 384-6357
Fax: (760) 384-6377
There may be classes taken during your military career that could be used to satisfy some course requirements. Evaluation of all previous college work and other relevant education (including military school experiences) is done by a counselor/education advisor to determine the amount of credit that will be accepted and applied to a degree program at the college. See Can I receive credit for my military training? and American Council on Education Transcript Services.
- Attend orientation.
- Take the assessment tests.
- Meet with a counselor to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP) for your first semester at Cerro Coso. The SEP must be updated and VA program approval must be completed PRIOR TO EACH SEMESTER to verify that the courses you are taking are meeting your educational/career goal.
- Get Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Cerro Coso's Federal School Code (010111) must be entered on your FAFSA so that your information will be transmitted to us electronically. You will also need a pin to sign the FAFSA electronically. Apply for a pin at www.pin.ed.gov.
- If you qualify, also apply for a Board of Governors Grant Fee Waiver on the Financial Aid webpage.
- Register for classes.
Based on your Veteran status, you are eligible for PRIORITY REGISTRATION and must contact counseling to have your registration appointment changed.
- Pay fees within ten days of registering for classes (unless you have an approved fee waiver. [See Financial Aid.]) Chapter 33 students need to see the Veterans Affairs office.
The college is also able to help you with the CA Dept. of Veteran's Affairs (CADVA) fee waiver, a program offered to dependents and spouses of California veterans. CADVA analyzes financial need and will issue a tuition fee waiver for a year (July 1 - June 30) at a time for authorized students. You must apply before or during the year in question. Follow the directions on the application form carefully and submit to the County Veterans Service Office at 1120 Golden State Ave., Bakersfield, CA 93301-2416. Phone: (661) 868-7300, Fax: (661) 631-0519.
- Attend classes. Students who do not attend the first day of class will be dropped.
- Notify your advisor AND the VA of any changes in your schedule. See also How do I report a drop or withdrawal during the drop/add period?.
- If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 GI Bill, you must verify your enrollment with the VA every month. See How do I verify my enrollment?. The earliest you can verify your enrollment is the last calendar day of each month or the last day of the term.
- Meet with a counselor each semester to further develop your SEP to discuss meeting your education and career goals. The VA requires that you see a counselor each semester that you are attending college in order for you to receive benefits.
Resources for Active Military
Resources for Veterans
And visit our Veterans Services Office on the main campus, MB 117. (760) 384-6291.
Veteran Student Info Handout