To preserve the health and safety of all students, employees, and the public, CCCC requires everyone to wear a mask and show proof of COVID 19 Vaccination by 11/01/2021. Coronavirus Update: Read more »

Cerro Coso Community College

Military & Veterans Services

Admissions for Military Veterans

We support the following programs:

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31 (VA Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependent's Education Assistance)
  • Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill - Selective Reserves)

Becoming a Student at Cerro Coso

  1. Fill out the application form online.
  2. Fill out the VA benefits application form online. The VA may require first time users to send a copy of their DD214 form to Muskogee, OK. (VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888) before the VA will process your application. The DD214 can also be sent as an attachment to the VA application. After you apply, the VA will send you a letter of approval. Please submit this letter to Veterans Affairs or to Counseling so that Cerro Coso can certify your enrollment with the VA.
    See also I am enrolled in school. When will I receive my benefits from VA?.
  3. Send us your transcripts. Federal law requires that Veterans provide OFFICIAL SEALED transcripts from all previously attended schools, colleges, and training institutes attended. Send transcripts directly to Admissions and Records:
    Admissions & Records
    Cerro Coso Community College
    3000 College Heights Blvd
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    Phone: (760) 384-6374
    Fax: (760) 384-6377
    You can obtain military transcripts for Army, Navy/Marines and Coast Guard at and for Air Force at

    There may be classes taken during your military career that could be used to satisfy some course requirements. Evaluation of all previous college work and other relevant education (including military school experiences) is done by a counselor/education advisor to determine the amount of credit that will be accepted and applied to a degree program at the college. See Can I receive credit for my military training? and American Council on Education Transcript Services.
  4. Attend orientation.
  5. Log into Navigate.
  6. Take the assessment tests.
  7. Fill out the Veterans Fact Sheet and return it to Counseling.
  8. Meet with a counselor to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP) for your first semester at Cerro Coso. The SEP must be updated and VA program approval must be completed PRIOR TO EACH SEMESTER to verify that the courses you are taking are meeting your educational/career goal.
  9. Get Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA online at

    Cerro Coso's Federal School Code (010111) must be entered on your FAFSA so that your information will be transmitted to us electronically. You will also need a pin to sign the FAFSA electronically. Apply for a pin at
  10. If you qualify, also apply for a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) on the Financial Aid webpage.
  11. Register for classes.
    Based on your Veteran status, you are eligible for PRIORITY REGISTRATION and must contact counseling to have your registration appointment changed.
  12. Pay fees within ten days of registering for classes (unless you have an approved fee waiver. [See Financial Aid.]) Chapter 33 students need to see the Veterans Affairs office.
  13. Attend classes. Students who do not attend the first day of class will be dropped.
  14. Notify your advisor AND the VA of any changes in your schedule. See also How do I report a drop or withdrawal during the drop/add period?.
  15. If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 GI Bill, you must verify your enrollment with the VA every month. See How do I verify my enrollment?. The earliest you can verify your enrollment is the last calendar day of each month or the last day of the term.
  16. Meet with a counselor each semester to further develop your SEP to discuss meeting your education and career goals. The VA requires that you see a counselor each semester that you are attending college in order for you to receive benefits.