- Master’s Degree from an accredited college/university
- Teaching or student services experience
- At least 1 year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students and employees (currently listed under knowledge and abilities)
- Earned Doctorate Degree
- At least 3 years of senior-level administrative experience
- Both instruction and student services experience at the community college level
- Participation in community activities and partnership development
Benefits and Compensation
The starting salary for the President of Cerro Coso Community College is negotiable based on experience. A robust benefits package compliments the salary package.
The next President of Cerro Coso Community College will ideally possess the following characteristics:
- Is keenly aware of the California community college mission as well as initiatives and innovative practices throughout a college that promote a student-centered environment and high student achievement.
- Understands the California community college environment—regulatory, policy, fiscal, accreditation—and its relationship with effective leadership and operation of a college in a multi-college district.
- Promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms as a campus value; focuses on meeting the needs of underserved student and community populations; seeks diversity in employee positions.
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach to leadership with all internal groups (employees and students) and with the community; is inclusive in decision-making processes; is a consensus builder, respecting the valuable contributions of such groups and individuals; understands the California community college philosophy and practices that underpin the tenets of AB 1725.
- Leads with a focus on continuous improvement of institutional effectiveness and professional development of all employees; is a data-informed decision maker; motivates people to perform at their best.
- Manages change effectively, possesses the knowledge as well as the technical skills and emotional intelligence to do the work; is a visible and accessible leader.
- Demonstrates effective skills in cultivating, planning, and managing internal and external resources (human, fiscal, physical, technological).
- Understands the role of a college president within a multi-college district, including the structure of local and statewide policy and authority; owns the decisions of such authority as if it were his/her own.
- Exhibits an awareness and understanding of the California collective bargaining environment and regularly maintains effective labor relations and employee contract management.
- Understands the important role of student leadership development, including student government and other organizations as well as athletics, in contributing to successful student outcomes and relationships with the communities the College serves.
- Has successful experience with external relationships, such as advocacy and active promotion of community support of the institution, effective pursuit of funding through a foundation and grant sources, functional partnerships with education and other governmental agencies, business, and industry; embraces the uniqueness of these relationships in a rural and geographically expansive area.
- Utilizes effective oral and written communication skills with college and community stakeholders; chooses wisely from multiple communication strategies to address a variety of interpersonal and group situations.
- Exhibits personal/professional ethics and integrity in all behavior and relationships, with a focus on transparency, fairness and equitable decision making; holds oneself accountable and, through effective delegation of responsibilities, holds others accountable as well.
- Gauges people and situations effectively; exhibits an executive presence and composure, but also patience, flexibility, and good sense of humor; seeks desired outcomes even in ambiguous situations.
Initial Screening Date: March 13, 2020