Pass/No Pass Grading
What is Pass/No Pass Grading?
Pass/No Pass grading is a grading system which allows students to take courses outside of their major field without the risk of jeopardizing their grade point average. Students who elect P/NP grading will only be granted credit in the course if they earn the equivalent of "C" or better; if they earn less than a "C" grade, no credit will be awarded. In either case, no letter grades are given and the results are not computed in determining a student's grade point average.
Regulations and Procedures
Regulations and procedures for Pass/No Pass Grading (P/NP) are: (Title V, Section 55752)
- P/NP grading may not be used for courses in a student's major field.
- Units earned shall not be used to calculate grade point averages. However, units attempted for which "NP" is recorded shall be considered in probation and dismissal procedures.
- A student must file or rescind a petition in the Office of Admissions and Records to take a course under P/NP grading no later than the first 30% of the term (end of the fourth week or equivalent).
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year college or university should
note the following:
- "P" grades cannot be used in determining your GPA at the University of California or comparable institutions.
- The four-year school one plans to attend should be consulted to determine whether or not it will accept "P" units.
- Some state colleges and universities stipulate that courses used to satisfy General Education requirements may not be taken for this type of grading.
Filing a Petition
To petition for Pass/No Pass grading, download and print out the PASS/NO PASS PETITION FORM, fill it out carefully, & send it to:
Cerro Coso Community College
c/o Admissions & Records
3000 College Heights Blvd.
Ridgecrest CA 93555
Fax: (760) 384-6377