Creating self-sufficiency through education, training, and employment.
What is CalWORKs?
California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Act
- Replaces "AFDC/TANF"
- Short-term training and job transition services for persons receiving Welfare assistance
Services available to eligible participants.
On Campus Work/Study
- Cerro Coso's CalWORKs Work/Study program is designed to provide qualified students with practical training in their chosen fields of study. Students are required to enroll in training courses at Cerro Coso, maintain a minimum 2.0 G.P.A., work for a maximum of 19 hours per week at placement, and meet program attendance requirements. Students are referred to employers for interviews, as Work/Study positions become available.
Off Campus Work/Study
- Cerro Coso's Off-Campus Work/Study program is also designed to provide qualified students with practical hands-on training in their chosen field of study. Students are required to maintain a 2.0 G.P.A., work for a maximum of 20 hours per week (depending on their course load and the needs of the employer and the student) and meet program attendance requirements. Even though the student will be the employee of the employer, students are still required to comply with all paperwork and reporting guidelines. Students are referred to employers for interviews as Work/Study positions become available.
Internship and Volunteer Placement Opportunities
Child Care services
Counseling and Career Classes
- Counseling and Career Classes
Short term educational programs including:
- Basic Skills Classes (reading, writing, math)
- Business Management
- Business Office Technology
- Small Business Management
- Computer Technology
- Computer Information Systems
CIS-A+, Network Plus and Security
- Computer Information Systems
- Web Design
- Industrial Technology Certificate & Degree Program
- Renewable Energy/Solar & wind Technician Certificate
- Engineering Technology
- Engineering Prep.
- Electrical/Mechanical Degree Programs
- Administration of Justice
- Trades Practice
- Welding, Machine Tool, Drafting
- Child Development
- Human Services
- Health Careers
- Front and Back Office- Certificate
- CNA- Certificate
- LVN- Certificate
- RN- Prep
Liaison and coordination with social service agencies
Individualized support services
- Provide an on going pool of eligible applicants
- Subsidize up to 75% of participants payroll cost for on campus positions and 75% for off campus positions.
- Maximum time of any one participant placed at a Work/Study site is 12 months.
:: Resume Workshops
Sign up today for our monthly resume workshop located in the Career Transfer Center. The 3rd Thursday of each month find out how to Land an Interview, Impress the hiring manager and get the job. Call 384-6276 to sign up.
:: Work Activity Hours
Enrollment in Tutorial Labs can count as part of your Work Activity Hours. See Paula Suorez for more information.
:: Check Bulletin Boards for Info
Don't forget to check the Bulletin Board on campus for up to date information, which is located on the second floor next to the West Entry Doors from the parking lot. It is clearly marked CalWORKs.
Department Assistant III
Job Development Specialist
Mission of Program
To provide participants with quality education programs and employment training experiences that lead to economic self-sufficiency.
Who is eligible for the program?
Any student enrolled at Cerro Coso College, receiving AFDC/TANF benefits, and is at least 18 years old and in good academic standing.
How do I get started?
Students interested in participating in the CalWORKs program can contact a CalWORKs representative at (760) 384-6219 or (760) 384-6276 at the IWV campus or (760) 379-5501 at the KRV campus.
These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it for free here.
- Cal Learn
- Career Service Center
- College Community Services
- Community Connection for Child Care
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Employment Development Department
- Employment Training Resources
- Fleet & Family support Center
- Family Advocacy Program
- Goodwill Industries of Southern California
- High Desert Pathways
- IWV Family Resource Center
- Naval Air Warfare Center
- Navy Relief Society
- Ridgecrest Community Health Care
- Senior Services of I.W.V.
- Tribal TANF-OVCDC
- Women's Center- High Desert