1. Medical screening questionnaire and lifestyle survey to determine the health status of each student. (B, D)
2. Completion of a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire. (B, D)
3. At the end of the period exercise results will be recorded and new goals will be established. (A-E)
4. Introduction to lifetime physical fitness and wellness. (A-E)
a. The wellness concept.
b. The relationship between fitness/wellness and health.
c. Self-responsibility and wellness.
d. Your personal fitness and wellness profile.
5. Cardiovascular endurance assessment and prescription. (A, C, E)
a. Importance of cardiovascular endurance.
b. Benefits of cardiovascular endurance training.
c. Work-out in the cardiovascular lab using the principles of cardiovascular exercise prescription.
6. Muscular strength assessment and prescription. (A, C, D)
a. Relationship between strength and metabolism.
b. Muscular strength and endurance assessment.
c. Principles of strength training prescription.
d. Strength training program and work-out.
7. Muscular Flexibility assessment and prescription. (A, C, D)
a. The value of muscular flexibility.
b. Factors affecting flexibility.
c. Principles of muscular flexibility prescription.
d. Exercises for flexibility and for the prevention and rehabilitation of lower back pain. (A-D)
8. Body composition assessment (A-D)
a. What body composition means.
b. Essential and storage fat.
c. Lean body mass and ideal body weight
9. Nutrition for weight control and wellness. (A-D)
a. Proper nutrition and balanced diet.
b. Principles of weight control.
c. Physiology of weight loss.
d. Exercise: the key to successful weight loss and maintenance.
e. Tips for behavior modification and lifelong weight management.
10. Cardiovascular disease risk reduction (A-D)
a. Coronary heart disease risk profile.
b. Cardiovascular endurance.
c. Blood Pressure (hypertension).
d. Total cholesterol/HDL- cholesterol ratio testing.
11. Cancer prevention. (A-D)
12. Stress assessment and management techniques. (A-E)
13. Smoking cessation and chemical dependency. (A-E)
14. Back care. (A, C, E)
15. Goal setting and self responsibility of lifelong fitness and wellness. (E)