A. Guidance vs. Discipline: A Definition
B. Overview of Developmental Theories
1. Cognitive development theory
2. Psychodynamic theory
3. Behaviorist theory
4. Human potential theory
5. Moral development theory
C. Guides in Speech and Action
D. Appropriate Discipline and Parenting
1. Understanding children’s behavior
2. Understanding parent/child relationship
3. Culture and its influence on parenting
3. Encouragement: building the child’s confidence and feelings of worth.
4. Communication skills.
b. Exploring alternatives and expressing ideas and feelings.
5. Discipline techniques to teach responsibility
a. Contrasting punishment with consequences.
b. Steps in applying consequences.
c. Contrasting logical and natural consequences.
E. Impact of the Environment on the Child’s Behavior
1. Room arrangement as a teaching strategy.
2. Daily schedule as a teaching strategy.
3. Activity planning.
4. How the teacher’s attitude and health impact’s children’s behavior.
5. Other influences on the child’s behavior that a teacher must consider when working with children.
F. Advocating for Young Children
1. Modeling appropriate guidance for families.
2. Providing resources for families.
3. Providing resources for teachers to enable them to meet the needs of the children.
4. Reporting child abuse.
5. Making your concerns known of inappropriate practices of the child care provider.