Human Services Worker
The Human Services Worker Certificate of Achievement (27 units): Any student completing the courses required for the Human Services major qualifies for a certificate in Human Services Worker. The program prepares students for employment in a broad range of human services careers. Certificate consists of seven core courses and two electives. Although individual courses are offered online, the full certificate is currently not available in online environments.
Complete each course to be applied toward the certificate with a grade of "C" or better. Complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Cerro Coso Community College.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to
- Articulate the board concerns and practices of human services industries.
- Demonstrate three core sets of human services skills: conducting an interview, writing an incident report, participate in team meetings, and provide necessary support and referrals to consumers.
- Assess situations for appropriate entry level professional, legal and ethical responses.
- Use supervisory feedback for improved performance.
- Analyze the cultural components of a human services situation and recommend culturally appropriate interventions.
- Ridgecrest Indian Wells Valley Campus [Certificate Pathway]
- Lake Isabella Kern River Valley Campus [Certificate Pathway]
Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.
Complete all of the following courses:
|HMSV C101||Introduction to Human Services||3 Units|
|HMSV C102||Cultural Competence in Human Services||3|
|HMSV C103||Preparation for Field Work in Human Services||3|
|HMSV C104||Field Work in Human Services||4|
|HMSV C116||Case Management||3|
|CSCI C070||Computer Literacy||1|
|ENGL C101||Freshman Composition||4|
Select 6 units from the following courses:
|CHDV C106||Child Growth and Development||3 Units|
|CHDV C241||The Exceptional Child: Nature and Needs||3|
|HMSV C113||Intervention Skills in Human Services||3|
|PSYC C101||General Psychology||3|
|PSYC C112||Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment||3|
|PSYC C211||Lifespan Development||3|
|PSYC C241||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|SPCH C105||Interpersonal Communication||3|