Emergency Medical Technician
The Emergency Medical Technician Job Skills Certificate (7 units) is designed to provide career pathways into Emergency Medical Services through pre-hospital and clinical education from basic body systems to the intricate and often changing emergent medical care provided to the sick and injured. Successful completion of this job certificate provides a wide range of components for those interested in entering the job market directly or progressing to Paramedic, nursing or moving into pre-medicine to become a Physician Assistant or Medical Doctor.
Complete each course to be applied toward the certificate with a grade of "C" or better.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to
- Identify the correct sequence of assessments and treatments for patients experiencing cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Identify the etiology, pathophysiology and signs and symptoms of disorders of all body systems.
- Identify critical medical patient conditions using standardized medical patient assessments.
- Identify critical traumatic patient conditions using standardized trauma patient assessments.
- Demonstrate leadership during the management of critical patient conditions.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize resources to resolve medical and trauma patient conditions.
- Ridgecrest Indian Wells Valley Campus [Certificate Pathway]
- Lake Isabella Kern River Valley Campus [Certificate Pathway]
- Edwards AFB East Kern Center [Certificate Pathway]
- Bishop/Mammoth Lakes Eastern Sierra Center Campus [Certificate Pathway]
Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.
Complete all of the following courses:
|EMTC C070||CPR for the Healthcare Provider||0.5 Units|
|EMTC C105||Emergency Medical Technician||6.5|