Computer Information Systems
The Computer Information Systems Certificate of Achievement (28 units) is designed for students pursuing professional employment in computer information systems for business. This certificate provides students with skills to enter the job market as help desk providers, computer support specialists, or entry level programmers.
Complete each course to be applied toward the certificate with a grade of "C" or better. Complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Cerro Coso Community College.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to
- Demonstrate sufficient understanding and application of business and related information technology concepts for entry level employment and advancement in the field. This includes an understanding of the fundamentals of computers and computer nomenclature and why they are essential components in business and society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global system in which computer information systems are practiced including the role of ethics and the impact on society as well as contemporary issues.
- Demonstrate preparedness for entry level employment in the field of information technology. This includes areas of focus such as computer hardware, software, networks, and security, or programming.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of relational databases and concepts, including design, creation, and data manipulation.
- CC Online [Certificate Pathway]
Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.
Complete all of the following courses:
|BSAD C100||Introduction to Business||3 Units|
|CSCI C101||Introduction to Computer Information Systems||3|
|CSCI C241||Introduction to Telecommunications||3|
|CSCI C251||Introductory Visual Basic Programming||3|
|CSCI C270||Introduction to Database Design and Management||3|
|MATH C130||Finite Mathematics||4|
|or MATH C131||Business Calculus||4|
|or MATH C121||Elementary Probability and Statistics||4|
Select at least 9 units from the following courses:
|CSCI C140||A+ Essential Skills for Computers||2|
|CSCI C141||A+ Standard Skills for IT Technicians||2|
|CSCI C143||Network+ Fundamentals of Network Technologies||3|
|CSCI C146||Security+ Fundamentals of Network Security||3|
|CSCI C265||Introductory C++ Programming||3|
|CSCI C267||Introduction to Java Programming||3|
|CSCI C280||Web Application Development Using PHP||3|