Business Office Technology
The Business Office Technology Certificate of Achievement (30 units) is designed to prepare learners for challenging positions as administrative assistants and office managers through courses in communication, industry standard computer applications, business, office procedures, and bookkeeping in order to meet the needs of the technologically dynamic office.
Complete each course to be applied toward the certificate with a grade of "C" or better. Complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Cerro Coso Community College.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to
- Achieve business standards for efficiency, time management, and quality of work while projecting a professional image including ethical standards with respect to privacy, confidentiality, and personal behavior both independently and in group situations.
- Apply fundamental principles of spelling, grammar, and punctuation to a wide variety of business communication messages, documents, and reports appropriate for the intended audience.
- Select, apply, and adapt computer software tools such as word processing, spreadsheet, data base, accounting, presentation, and desktop publishing, to business related tasks and assess the logic of the results.
- Analyze and record a variety of business financial transactions such as petty cash, bank deposits, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Apply standard records management procedures when establishing and maintaining systems to classify, organize, store, and retrieve hard copy and electronic files.
- Demonstrate active listening skills to accurately condense and record verbal information, instructions, and ideas.
- CC Online [Certificate Pathway]
Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.
Complete all of the following courses:
|BSAD C070||Business Mathematics||3 Units|
|BSAD C072||Introduction to Accounting||3|
|BSAD C145||Business Communication||3|
|BSOT C100||Introduction to Business Office Technology||3|
|BSOT C127||MS PowerPoint||1|
|BSOT C132||Intermediate Computer Keyboarding||1|
|BSOT C133||Advanced Computer Keyboarding||1|
|BSOT C154||Office Personnel Seminar||3|
|CSCI C070||Computer Literacy||1|
|CSCI C121||Beginning Word||1|
|CSCI C151||Intermediate Word||1|
|CSCI C123||Beginning Excel||1|
|CSCI C153||Intermediate Excel||1|
|CSCI C125||Beginning Access||1|
|CSCI C155||Intermediate Access||1|
|CSCI C161||Advanced Word||1|
Select 4 units from the following courses:
|CSCI C129||MS Outlook||1 Unit|
|CSCI C135||Beginning Adobe Acrobat||1|
|CSCI C163||Advanced Excel||1|
|CSCI C165||Advanced Access||1|
|CSCI C171||Introduction to the Internet and the World Wide Web||1|